A Response to the Covid-19 Crisis
March 16, 2020
Due to the concern over the coronavirus outbreak and the many recommendations to stay home and self-quarantine, we will be temporarily suspending most meetings and activities at OPC.
There are several reasons for this action. First, the desire to protect the health and well-being of the friends and members who call our church home. Second, to take away the “should I go or should I stay” decisions that are happening in almost every household. And third, in recognition of the fact that much about this outbreak is still unknown and that it is best to act on the side of caution.
As of today, we have not made a decision about our worship services on March 22 and 29. All other scheduled meetings and activities will be suspended until March 31, with the exception of the Illinois Primary Election on March 17 and the OPC Session meeting on March 19.
- All meetings and activities at OPC will be cancelled until March 31. This includes choir, bell choir, WILD, children’s choir, youth groups, puppet practice, and committee meetings.
- A decision about worship and Sunday School will be made later this week.
- The Dinner Theater, scheduled for March 20 and 21 has been postponed. We hope to reschedule this at a later date, so hold on to your tickets.
- Outside groups, such as Boy and Girl Scouts, AA groups, support groups, and sewing groups will not be meeting at OPC at this time.
- The use of OPC as a polling place for the Illinois Primary Election on March 17 will continue as scheduled.
- The Session will meet on Thursday, March 19 at 7:00 p.m. These cancellations, along with the status of our worship services and Sunday School, will be among their primary business.
- The office will remain open and will be staffed during this time. You are encouraged to conduct business by email or telephone when possible.
- If you are in need of pastoral care, please call the church office (630)554-8194 or the pastor’s cell phone.
- Please continue to send prayer concerns to the church office.
There is no doubt that this is a time of fear and uncertainty. But in the midst of our trials we can hear Jesus’ voice echoing in our hearts, “Do not be afraid.” This is not a time for panic and doubt, but a time to have confidence that the God who loves us so deeply will continue to walk with us and support us no matter what.
Let us face this crisis with prayers in our hearts and faith in our lives.
Yours in Christ,